Home » Lifestyle » Jennie-O Turkey pauses operations at another Minnesota plant to mitigate coronavirus spread
Jennie-O Turkey pauses operations at another Minnesota plant to mitigate coronavirus spread
Trump looks to help meat processors
FOX Business’ Blake Burman says President Trump will be invoking the Defense Production Act to ensure meat processors stay open during the coronavirus pandemic.
Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.
Continue Reading Below
Jennie-O Turkey Store announced Tuesday that it will temporarily pause operations at its Melrose, Minnesota facility in order to undergo a deep, facility-wide cleaning to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus in the wake of two other plants in the state closing last week.
"Our number one priority is the health, well-being and safety of our team members. That is why, out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to take a pause in operations at this location," said Jennie-O Turkey Store president Steve Lykken. "We continue to be thoughtful and considerate during this process as we work with health and safety consultants who are experts in mitigation strategies for COVID-19."
Last week, Jennie-O's parent company Hormel Foods was forced to shut down two Jennie-O plants in Willmar, Minnesota after 14 employees tested positive for the coronavirus. As of Monday, 19 out of approximately 750 Jennie-O employees had tested positive for coronavirus.
According to the announcement, all Jennie-O employees will continue to receive 100 percent of their base pay and benefits during the pause in production.
TYSON WARNS OF CORONAVIRUS-RELATED US MEAT SHORTAGES AS LIVESTOCK PLANTS SHUTDOWN