Metzelder 'distributed porn showing children under ten being raped'

German World Cup star Christoph Metzelder ‘distributed paedophile porn showing children under ten being raped and had 297 images on his phone’ trial hears as he appears in court

  • Metzelder, 40, appeared at a court in Dusseldorf this morning to face trial
  • Court heard he used his phone to send child sex abuse images to three people 
  • His phone was seized by police who uncovered 297 child porn files, court heard
  • The former Real Madrid and Dortmund centre half was first investigated in 2019 

German World Cup star Christoph Metzelder sent child porn showing children younger than ten being raped, a court heard today.

The 40-year-old ex-Real Madrid centre half appeared at a court in Dusseldorf this morning on the first day of his trial for allegedly distributing child sex abuse images via WhatsApp messages.

Metzelder’s phone was seized by police who uncovered 297 child porn files, including images which showed the rape of children under ten, the court heard. 

The indictment states that between July 9 to September 1, 2019, he sent ten images to one witness, 16 images and two videos to another, and to a third person he sent one image.  

Metzelder was part of the starting line-up in the finals of both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2008, going on to make 47 appearances for Germany (pictured in court today)

Christoph Metzelder arrives for his trial at the District Court in Duesseldorf, Germany

The trial is scheduled to run until May 10. If convicted, Metzelder could face a fine or a prison term of three months to five years (pictured: the former footballer arriving at court as police watch on)

Metzelder arrives for the first day of his trial in Dusseldorf 

A lawyer for the former player said last week he would ‘face up’ to the charges in court.

‘He knows what he has done,’ Metzelder’s attorney Ulrich Sommer told broadcaster RTL.

‘He also knows that it can be called a mistake and he knows that he has to face up to his responsibilities.’

Metzelder had been working as a pundit for Sky Sports Germany until he came under investigation in September 2019.

Sommer said Metzelder is in therapy, to help him address ‘certain issues such as sexuality or dealing with women in certain situations’.

The lawyer said the former centre-back was ‘shocked at himself for having had this kind of double life’, but insisted his client is ‘obviously not’ a paedophile.

Metzelder was part of the starting line-up in the finals of both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2008, going on to make 47 appearances for Germany.

Metzelder fends off a Republic of Ireland player during qualifications for the 2008 UEFA European Championship

Christoph Metzelder playing for Real Madrid at the Commerzbank Arena on August 12, 2008 in Frankfurt, Germany

He played for major clubs such as Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in a career spanning 15 years.

He retired from football in 2014 and since 2006, Metzelder has run a foundation in his own name to support socially disadvantaged children across Germany.

The allegations against him came to light in September 2019 but he has not personally addressed them in public.

The trial is scheduled to run until May 10. If convicted, Metzelder could face a fine or a prison term of three months to five years.

Source: Read Full Article