COPS were forced to break up "several gatherings" as hundreds lined the streets for the funeral of a dad dubbed "Mr Ibiza" despite coronavirus lockdown.
The events were held as Clive Pinnock, 38, was yesterday laid to rest in Gorton, Greater Manchester, after being killed in a horror smash earlier this month.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
Pictures posted on social media showed mourners standing side-by-side as the dad's funeral cortege passed by despite social distancing rules.
Police confirmed they also spoke with those who came to pay their respects to urge them to follow guidelines to stay 2m apart, MEN reports.
Superintendent Rebecca Boyce said: "We understand how important it is for the grieving family of this young man to be able to join together to celebrate his life in a safe and peaceful manner and we would continue to urge those present to follow the government guidelines and social distancing measures."
Greater Manchester Police also said they were forced to break up a number of gatherings in relation to the funeral.
They said: "Police are aware of several gatherings in relation to a funeral ceremony in Gorton, Manchester.
"Neighbourhood officers are continuing to sensitively and respectfully co-operate and engage with those people paying their respects to enable them to do so in a safe and orderly environment."
A 34-year-old man was also slashed with a knife at Gorton Cemetery as armed police swooped amid reports a gun had been fired.
He was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries but it is understood no shots were made.
Give now to The Sun's NHS appeal
BRITAIN’s four million NHS staff are on the frontline in the battle against coronavirus.
But while they are helping save lives, who is there to help them?
The Sun has launched an appeal to raise £1MILLION for NHS workers. The Who Cares Wins Appeal aims to get vital support to staff in their hour of need.
We have teamed up with NHS Charities Together in their urgent Covid-19 Appeal to ensure the money gets to exactly who needs it.
The Sun is donating £50,000 and we would like YOU to help us raise a million pounds, to help THEM. No matter how little you can spare, please donate today here: www.thesun.co.uk/whocareswinsappeal.
It comes after police attended a large vigil for Clive on April 11 after he was killed when his Kawasaki motorbike was hit by a BMW.
No arrests were made but well-wishers were asked to disperse under the government's lockdown rules.
An investigation has been launched into Clive's death and a 34-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
Police have asked anyone who many have witnessed the incident to come forward.
The government has urged funeral directors and faith leaders to restrict the number of mourners attending funeral services.
Under the rules, only close family members are permitted to attend services.
Local government Secretary Robert Jenrick said: "Social distancing measures must be respected, but families must have the opportunity to say a respectful goodbye to those that they love."
The update came after 13-year-old Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, from Brixton, was buried alone after dying from coronavirus.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
Source: Read Full Article