Prince Philip will remain in hospital over the weekend and isn't allowed any visitors

PRINCE Philip is set to remain in hospital over the weekend — but he is not allowed any royal visitors.

He has been told he needs to stay in bed for “rest and observation”.

🦠 Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates


The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was taken ill at Windsor Castle earlier this week.

He was taken to central London’s King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday and is expected to remain there for several more days.

But under strict Covid-19 rules Philip faces a lonely stay in his private room as visitors are banned.

The Queen and other royals would only be allowed inside during “exceptional circumstances”.

Her Majesty, 94, and her husband have been protected from Covid-19 for a year by a group of loyal staff dubbed HMS Bubble.

UNWELL FOR SEVERAL DAYS

A source said: “Everyone loves a visitor when they are feeling low in hospital but the Duke will be extremely stoic about it.

“He knows the nation is sending their thoughts and prayers. The Duke has been in HMS Bubble for almost a year so he is used to all kinds of restrictions.

“He has barely been able to see his family for the past year. He knows only too well people have been going through worse than him.”

Prince Philip has been treated at the same London hospital for several ailments in previous years.

It is understood he had felt unwell for several days before royal doctors ordered him to hospital as a “precautionary measure”.

He was driven 26 miles from Windsor Castle in a private car and walked into the hospital unaided.

The King Edward VII follows national health guidelines on Covid-19. Patients are not allowed visitors or friends to accompany them.

Yesterday a spokesman said: “Visitors are not allowed apart from exceptional circumstances.”

Philip had his virus jab six weeks ago and his admission is not as a result of Covid.

All patients are tested for the virus before being admitted and in their rooms.

The Duke is used to being surrounded by restrictions after almost a year moving between Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Sandringham with just a small staff.


A team of 24 work three weeks on and three weeks off with a period of quarantine to prevent Covid.

No one has to wear a mask but everyone in close contact with the Queen and Duke has been tested.

Buckingham Palace said it would not give a running commentary on the Duke’s health. A spokesman said last night: “He was admitted for rest and observation and that continues.”

DUKE NOT A ‘FUSSPOT’

HOSPITAL staff treating the Duke of Edinburgh are unlikely to find him an ideal patient, a royal author has said.

Penny Junor, 71, said: “I think he can be quite blunt. This is a man who doesn’t want any fuss made of his 100th birthday, so the fact he’s in hospital and getting some will really irritate him.”

Philip was admitted on Tuesday to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in Marylebone, London, for “observation and rest” as a precaution after becoming unwell.

The Duke, who is said to be in “good spirits”, turns 100 on June 10.

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article